PNoy: P10-M REWARD FOR NAPOLES' ARREST / NAPOLES AS STATE WITNESS?
MANILA, SEPTEMBER 2, 2013 (PHILSTAR) By Louis Bacani - President Benigno Aquino III on Wednesday announced a P10-million reward for information that will lead to the arrest of fugitive and alleged pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Lim-Napoles (photo above).
Aquino made the announcement after three yachts allegedly owned by Napoles are now missing as claimed by the Bureau of Immigration.
"P10-million ang reward for information leading to the arrest of Ms. Napoles," the President said.
The President reminded coddlers of Napoles that aiding and abettting a fugitive from the law and obstruction of justice are crimes.
"Harboring of a fugitive, kaso yun. Obstruction of justice, kaso rin yun. So yung babala: kung nasa wastong pag-iisip ang mga kumukupkop sa kanya, dapat maalala ito. At kung akala nila na titigilan namin ang paghahanap dito, nagkakamali sila," the President stressed.
He expressed "reasonable confidence" that Napoles and and her cohorts would be captured soon.
Headlines ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1
Napoles is the alleged brains behind the P10-billion pork barrel scam, accused for setting-up bogus non-government organizations that received lawmakers' Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF).
A report by the Commission on Audit last week revealed that some NGOs linked to Napoles received the pork barrel of lawmakers from 2007 to 2009.
Related story: COA confirms 10 Napoles NGOs got P2-B 'pork'
Arrest warrants were issued against Napoles and her brother in connection with the illegal detention case filed by her former employee and pork barrel scam whistleblower Benhur Luy.
Napoles and her brother have eluded arrest and remain at large, prompting authorities to urge to the public to carry out a "citizen's arrest" of the embattled businesswoman.
Justice Secretary Leila de Lima believes that Napoles and her brother are still in the Philippines.
"All existing leads na nakakalap ng [National Bureau of Investigation] ngayon point to the fact that they are still here but they are hiding," De Lima said Tuesday during the press briefing of the Inter-Agency Graft Coordinating Council.
Siegfred Mison, BI officer-in-charge, said they have coordinated with their counterparts from Indonesia and Malaysia and requested that they be on the lookout for Napoles and her brother.
Napoles as state witness? By Edu Punay (The Philippine Star) | Updated August 28, 2013 - 12:00am 12 678 googleplus0 8
MANILA, Philippines - The Department of Justice (DOJ) is not ruling out the possibility of using Janet Lim-Napoles, the fugitive businesswoman at the center of the pork barrel controversy, as a witness in running after the major players in the scam.
Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said the DOJ would decide whether Napoles can qualify to become state witness only after she surrenders and faces the charges.
“We’re not yet considering that at this point. She should surface first and surrender before we can go into that,” she said.
De Lima said the probe of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still in the fact-finding stage and is focused on allegations against Napoles and several lawmakers made by whistle-blowers led by Benhur Luy and Merlina Suñas.
“The focus now is to file a case against Napoles and her cohorts implicated by the whistle-blowers. We are not yet in a stage where we need to decide on whether she can be state witness or not,” she said.
De Lima, however, did not immediately turn down the possibility, considering that Napoles has been pinpointed as the brains of the scam while the law requires a state witness to be among the least guilty of the crime charged.
The Rules of Court provide that “any person who has knowledge of or information on the commission of a crime and has testified or is testifying or is willing to testify” may become state witness upon approval of the court hearing the case.
De Lima earlier said the recent Commission on Audit (COA) report on the alleged misuse of pork barrel of lawmakers – officially known as Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) – had shown a “wider web of anomalies.”
In the COA report, only 10 of 82 non-government organizations (NGOs) used to siphon billions in PDAF were linked to Napoles, making her a relatively minor player in the anomaly.
The Inter-Agency Anti-Graft Coordinating Council led by the Office of the Ombudsman and DOJ has convened to investigate the “bigger picture” of the pork barrel scam based on the COA report.
De Lima has also hinted the NBI was readying criminal charges against Napoles and several lawmakers supposedly involved in the racket.
Earlier, a group of priests had offered Napoles protection on condition that she bares all she knows about the scam.
Napoles and her brother Reynald Lim are both still at large two weeks after a Makati City regional trial court ordered their arrest over a separate case of serious illegal detention filed by Luy.
On the lookout
Immigration officials said they have been ordered to be on the lookout for the siblings and have alerted their counterparts in Indonesia and Malaysia.
Bureau of Immigration (BI) officer-in-charge Siegfred Mison said they have coordinated with their counterparts from Indonesia and Malaysia and requested that they be on the lookout for Napoles and her brother.
The BI was able to directly coordinate with the Indonesian immigration officials since they have an office in Davao.
They were provided with copies of pictures of the siblings with the information that their passports have been cancelled.
As for Malaysia, Mison said the BI is leaving it up to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) to coordinate.
Mison added he would also bring his request for assistance before the immigration departments of countries included in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) during their upcoming directors-general meeting in Vietnam.
“We would be giving information to countries of possible destination if she is able to flee the country,” he added.
Mison said the possibility the siblings would escape to Vietnam was remote.
He also doubted that Napoles would be able to travel to another country north of the Philippines because of the prevailing inclement weather.
Despite the heightened alert against Napoles and her brother, Mison still strongly believes that they are still in the country trying to cool things down before making their escape.
Mison said they are monitoring all possible exit points after receiving information that sometime last week, the three yachts that were often used by Napoles were no longer docked at the Manila Yacht Club.
Mison said they have yet to confirm if Napoles owns the vessels.
“We have alerted the possible exit points for her to leave the country such as via Balut Island. It is three hours away from Marore Island which is the closest island of Indonesia to the Philippines. While Bongao, Tawi-Tawi leads to Malaysia,” Mison said.
Mison said they have also coordinated with the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) to track down the three missing yachts.
The PCG said they have been tasked by De Lima to search for the yachts.
“Justice Secretary Leila de Lima has given instructions that we intensify the search of yachts along the border crossing areas at the southern backdoor, specifically in Balut Island that leads to Indonesia and Bongao that leads to Malaysia. We are on the lookout for them at the ports,” PCG spokesman Commander Armand Balilo said.
The BI has also coordinated with the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) to check out the hangars of private airplanes.
“CAAP might want to consider giving us access or they could be vigilant and try to find out who are using those private planes that have the capability to fly out of the country,” Mison said.
The BI has also asked the DFA to be on the lookout for look-alikes of Napoles and her brother.
Considering the reported vast financial resources and connections of Napoles, she could afford surgery to change her appearance and secure a bogus passport.
Mison said the new passports would still contain the passport holders’ fingerprints and even if they change their appearance, they would be caught through their fingerprints if they attempt to leave the country.
The NBI said they would formally request the Interpol, through Philippine Center for Transnational Crime (PCTC), to put Napoles and her brother Reynald on its red notice list.
Another immigration official, on the other hand, said there were no indications of Napoles and her brother attempting to leave the country through Clark International Airport in Pampanga.
The official said a “lookout order” was issued on the siblings earlier this month.
But the official, who asked not to be named, could not say whether records of departures were checked before the issuance of the lookout order.
“All I can say is that we are on alert in compliance with that lookout order,” the immigration official said.
Unlike a hold departure order, a lookout order only directs immigration officers to alert or inform the justice department if the subject tries to leave the country. -Evelyn Macairan, Aie Balagtas See, Ding Cervantes
Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi
© Copyright, 2013 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE