NAIA DECONGESTION STARTS: SMALL PLANES BANNED / CEBU PACIFIC FLIGHTS CANCELLED DUE TO BAD WEATHER
A photo of one the runways at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Manila. GABRONNIE PHOTO
MANILA, AUGUST 4, 2013 (PHILSTAR) By Camille Diola - The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) on Wednesday ordered small airplanes and private jets off the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) in an effort to decongest the gateway.
"A memorandum order ordering all fish run operations to quit, to stop operating in Manila," Captain John Andrews, CAAP deputy director, said in the order that takes effect immediately.
Andrews added that this will just be among the agency's first steps to reduce air traffic at the Manila airport and advised the smaller aircrafts to instead use Sangley Point in Cavite.
He also said he understands NAIA's need to keep up with the global developments in the airline industry.
"This order was transmitted by CAAP and we set up the Notice to Airmen effective today (July 31). Today, no fish run will be able to land or take off in Manila," Andrews added.
Foreign airlines have reportedly been denied slots in NAIA due to its congestion, and consequently caused two significant air deals with Oman Air and Jet Air to be withdrawn, according to a report in June.
The airport is also currently being criticized for disallowing passengers from taking the cheaper regular taxicabs by closing off an exit gate.
EARLIER NEWS FROM YAHOO ASIA
CAAP bans fish runs, limits private jets to decongest NAIA air traffic GMA News OnlineGMA News Online – Wed, Jul 31, 2013..
To decongest air traffic the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) is limiting flights of private airplanes and is banning small planes carrying marine products from the premier gateway.
Department Order No. 2013-08 which restricts general aviation traffic around NAIA was issued by Transportation Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya on June 28 and CAAP is implementing the order, CAAP deputy director general John Andrews told reporters in a press conference Wednesday.
The restriction would help ease traffic at the main gateway into the Philippines, Andrews noted, saying CAAP and the Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) identified several measures on safety and efficiency of the aviation industry, particularly covering operations in and around NAIA.
The aviation regulator restricted corporate jet and air taxi landings and take-offs at NAIA to two cycles per hour from 11 in the evening to 11 in the morning instead of seven to eight cycles per hour, the CAAP official said.
Starting Wednesday, July 31, food and fish runs are no longer allowed to land and take off at NAIA. DOTC and CAAP agreed to move general aviation traffic from NAIA to the Major Danilo Atienza Air Base in Cavite's Sangley Point according to the deputy director general.
Andrews said investigations showed that fish runs are being staged by 10 companies whose representatives argued they were using NAIA to refuel and park their planes but government investigators noted these aircraft had food and fish onboard.
“This has been being arranged for one year,” Andrews said. “They have more than enough operations to establish their operations there. An aircraft with a capacity of less than one ton will not affect food supply in Manila,” he added.
The new policy will raise NAIA's rated capacity to 42 events—landings and take-offs—per hour from the 40 so far this year and 36 last year, said Angel Honrado, Manila International Airport Authority general manager.
From a high of 52 events per hour, aviation officials were able to reduce congestion at the 30-year-old NAIA to its rated capacity of 40 events, Honrdo noted.
“With this restriction and guidance, there will be a form of order. We will be able to minimize delays and cancellations,” Honrado added.
With the Sydney-based Airport Coordination Australia, MIAA is improving the slotting system at NAIA, according to the airport official.
On average, NAIA registers 550 aircraft movements daily with 450 planes using the 3,737-meter primary runway 06-24. On the other hand, the old domestic airport’s 2,367-meter secondary runway 13-31 handles 100 planes on average per day. — VS, GMA News
Flights cancelled due to bad weather
By Helen Flores (The Philippine Star) | Updated August 5, 2013 - 12:00am
MANILA, Philippines - A low-pressure area (LPA) off Mactan in Cebu forced the cancellation of at least two domestic flights yesterday.
The Department of Transportation and Communications said Cebu Pacific cancelled flights between Manila and Bohol.
As of 4 p.m. yesterday, the LPA was spotted at least 180 kilometers west of Dumaguete and embedded along the intertropical convergence zone (ITCZ).
“These weather systems are expected to bring moderate to occasionally heavy rains and thunderstorms in Palawan, Visayas and regions of Zamboanga peninsula, northern Mindanao, ARMM and SOCCSKSARGEN which may trigger flashfloods and landslides,” PAGASA said.
Metro Manila, Calabarzon, Bicol, the Visayas and Mindanao, the Mindoro provinces, Marinduque, and Romblon will have cloudy skies with light to moderate rain showers and thunderstorms.
The rest of Luzon will be partly cloudy to cloudy with isolated rain showers and thunderstorms.
The Coast Guard has stopped all types of watercraft from plying the Sulu Sea because of the bad weather condition.
Lt. Cmdr. Jomark Angue, Coast guard station commander, said big waves had caused a wooden-hulled passenger watercraft known as pusu and a jungkung pumpboat to sink in a private wharf in Sulu.
No casualties were reported, he added.
Sulu has been experiencing strong winds and heavy rains since early dawn yesterday.
In Zamboanga City, incessant rains have flooded at least eight barangays and affected 700 people.
Water from the mountains caused major rivers to swell and overflow, according to the City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (CDRRMC).
Two children were killed and 131 individuals affected when a landslide occurred in at least three areas in Barangay Limpapa on Saturday.
The City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Committee (CDRRMC) said another landslide occurred in barangays in Divisoria and Curuan Sunday afternoon but no casualty was reported.
Huge waves destroyed a footbridge in the coastal barangay of Maasin yesterday afternoon.
Incessant rains the whole of yesterday forced riverbanks in Zamboanga City to swell and flood villages and affect at least 113 families or close to 565 individuals.
Zamboanga City Mayor Isabel Climaco-Salazar said some of the affected residents have been evacuated to schools and relief assistance provided for them. Disaster response teams have been mobilized and placed under alert for any emergency , she added.
Disaster personnel said floodwaters reached chest deep and have affected classrooms in Manicahan public school.
Salazar, CDRRMC chairman, said at least 10 families were evacuated from Barangay Manicahan east of Zamboanga City.
They are billeted at a school, she added.
Salazar said residents of other affected barangays have not been evacuated as floodwaters have not reached knee deep.
The CDRRMC is monitoring the weather and calamity-related incidents to guide responding rescue teams, she added.
No indication of La Niña
PAGASA sees no indication of La Niña affecting the country towards the end of the year.
“Most model forecasts continue to indicate ENSO(El Niño-Southern Oscillation)-neutral conditions through the remainder of 2013,” PAGASA said.
La Niña is the unusual cooling of the sea surface temperatures in the equatorial Pacific characterized by above normal rainfall.
PAGASA’s 2013 climate outlook showed that rainfall conditions for July-August-September season is likely to be near normal in most parts of the country, except for the provinces of Quezon, Camarines Norte, Catanduanes, some provinces in eastern Visayas, Davao region, Caraga and the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM).
The gradual recession of rains associated with the southwest monsoon is expected during the latter part of September up to early part of October, PAGASA added.
PAGASA said generally near normal rainfall conditions are likely to occur in most parts of the country from October to December, except in some areas in western Luzon. – With Roel Pareño
Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi
© Copyright, 2013
by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE