Boston Terror News No. 3

ONE BOSTON MARATHON BOMBINGS SUSPECT DEAD / PHOTOS OF 2 SUSPECTS


[Officers wearing tactical gear arrive at the Watertown neighborhood of Boston, Friday, April 19, 2013. Reports of explosives being detonated and police are telling reporters to turn off their cell phones. Dozens of officers and National Guard members are in Watertown, where television outlets report that gunfire and explosions have been heard. AP/Julio Cortez]

WATERTOWN, MASSACHUSETTS, APRIL 21, 2013 (PHILSTAR)  (AP) — One of two suspects in the deadly Boston Marathon bombing is dead and a massive manhunt is underway for another, authorities said early Friday.

Residents of Watertown, a suburb just outside Boston, have been advised by police to keep their doors locked and not let anyone in.

"We believe this to be a terrorist," said Boston Police Commissioner Ed David. "We believe this to be a man who's come here to kill people. We need to get him in custody."

(Follow the LIVE FEED with real-time updates and reports on the Boston Marathon bombing investigation)

The Middlesex district attorney said the two men are suspected of killing a Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer on campus late Thursday, then stealing a car at gunpoint and later releasing its driver unharmed. Hours earlier, police had released photos of the marathon bombing suspects and asked for the public's help finding them. A new photo of the suspect on the loose was released later showing him in a grey-hooded sweatshirt. It was taken at a 7-Eleven store in Cambridge, just across the river from Boston.

Authorities say the suspects threw explosives from the car as police followed it into Watertown. The suspects and police exchanged gunfire, and one of the suspects was critically injured and later died at a hospital while the other escaped.

The FBI said it was working with local authorities to determine what happened.

The MIT shooting on the Cambridge campus Thursday night was followed by reports of gunfire and explosions in Watertown, about 10 miles (16 kilometers) west of Boston.

The MIT officer had been responding to report of a disturbance Thursday night when he was shot multiple times, according to a statement from the Middlesex district attorney's office and Cambridge police. It said there were no other victims.

In Watertown, witnesses reported hearing multiple gunshots and explosions at about 1 a.m. (0500 GMT) Friday. Dozens of police officers and FBI agents were in the neighborhood and a helicopter circled overhead.

State police spokesman David Procopio said, "The incident in Watertown did involve what we believe to be explosive devices possibly, potentially, being used against the police officers."

Boston cab driver Imran Saif said he was standing on a street corner at a police barricade across from a diner when he heard an explosion.

"I heard a loud boom and then a rapid succession of pop, pop, pop," he said. "It sounded like automatic weapons. And then I heard the second explosion."

He said he could smell something burning and advanced to check it out but area residents at their windows yelled at him, "Hey, it's gunfire! Don't go that way!"

MIT said right after the 10:30 p.m. (0230 GMT) shooting that police were sweeping the campus in Cambridge and urged people to remain indoors. They urged people urged to stay away from the Stata Center, a mixed-use building with faculty offices, classrooms and a common area.

Hours later, MIT, the prestigious university with about 11,000 students, said the campus was clear but the shooter was still on the loose.

Boston Marathon bombing suspects (philstar.com) | Updated April 19, 2013 - 3:41pm


Newly released close-ups of suspects of the Boston Marathon twin blasts. Two bombs exploded in the packed streets near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday, killing three people and injuring more than 130 in a terrifying scene of shattered glass, bloodstained pavement and severed limbs at the world's oldest and most prestigious marathon, authorities said.]

BOSTON (AP) — The FBI released photos and video of two suspects in the deadly Boston Marathon bombings and asked for the public's help in identifying the men. The agency's website crashed within moments Thursday.


[These posters released by the FBI on Thursday, April 18, 2013, show what the FBI are calling suspect number 1, wearing a black cap, and suspect number 2, wearing a white cap, walking through the crowd in Boston on Monday, April 15, 2013, before the explosions at the Boston Marathon. AP/FBI]

FBI Agent Richard DesLauriers said the images are from surveillance cameras near the explosion sites shortly before Monday's blasts at the world's most famous marathon. The men are seen walking together in the crowd, and the man in the white cap is seen setting down a backpack at one site near the finish line, DesLauriers said.

"We consider them to be armed and extremely dangerous," DesLauriers said, asking the public not to approach the men. He said there is no additional danger that the FBI knows of at the moment.

Monday's blasts killed three, including a student from China, and injured more than 180.

The images came out hours after President Barack Obama promised a grieving city to hunt down whoever was responsible.

The images show two young-looking men wearing baseball caps, wearing jackets and carrying backpacks along the race route and weaving through the crowd. The planting of the backpack is not depicted in the video footage that was made public.

The FBI would not discuss the men's ethnicity.

"It would be inappropriate to comment on the ethnicity of the men because it could lead people down the wrong path potentially," said FBI agent Greg Comcowich, a spokesman for the Boston FBI office.

The information on the first suspect was developed within a day or so before its release, DesLauriers said. Agent Daniel Curtin said the FBI did not issue the photos earlier because authorities wanted to be meticulous: "It's important to get it right."

Generally, law enforcement agencies release photos of suspects only as a last resort, when they need the public's help. Releasing photos can tip off a suspect and deny police the element of surprise. It can also trigger an avalanche of tips, forcing police to waste time chasing them down.

"Each piece moves us toward justice," DesLauriers said of the latest information to emerge.

At an interfaith service honoring the victims, Obama called the perpetrators of the attack "these small, stunted individuals who would destroy instead of build."

The blasts killed 8-year-old Martin Richard, 29-year-old Krystle Campbell and Lu Lingzi, a graduate student from China. Seven victims remained in critical condition.

The bombs were crudely fashioned from ordinary kitchen pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails and ball bearings, investigators and others close to the case said. Investigators suspect the devices were then hidden in duffel bags and left on the ground.

They exploded within 15 seconds of each other near the finish line at a high-traffic time when thousands of runners were pouring in.

Several media outlets had reported that a suspect had been identified from surveillance video taken at a Lord & Taylor department store between the sites of the bomb blasts.

The investigation will probably collect about a million hours of videotape from fixed security cameras and cellphones and cameras used by spectators, said Gene Grindstaff, a scientist at Intergraph Corp., a company that makes video analysis software used by the FBI and other law enforcement agencies.

Video and photos are being examined and enhanced by an FBI unit called the Operational Technologies Division, said Joe DiZinno, former director of the FBI lab in Virginia.

Investigators are looking at video frame by frame — a laborious process, though one aided by far more sophisticated facial recognition technology than is commercially available, forensic specialists said.

Also seen in the newly released video is a spectator walking in front of the two men, then stepping aside, holding a cluster of yellow balloons — which can be seen in the shaky moments after the first blast floating free.

Shots fired at MIT campus, officer killed (philstar.com) | Updated April 19, 2013 - 12:16pm


An alumni building at the Massacchussetts Institute of Technology.

CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts -- Police officers surrounded a building of the prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology following reports of a university police officer being shot.

The unidentified cop was brought to the hospital and died from life-threatening injuries following the shooting incident.

Reports of an active shooter at building 32 or Stata reached police at about 11:00 am (Manila time) on Friday.

While no arrests have been as of posting time, Cambridge police warned students and university staff to "stay indoors" while the investigation is being conducted.

FROM YAHOO NEWS

Gunman kills police officer at MIT in Boston By Jason Sickles, Yahoo! | The Lookout – 8 hrs ago.. . .


Police officers secure a school building at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) near where a police … [Updated at 12:55 a.m. ET]

BOSTON — An intense manhunt is underway for a gunman who shot and killed a campus officer Thursday evening at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

The Middlesex County District Attorney's office confirmed the officer's death. The officer, who has not been identified, was reportedly answering a disturbance call when he was shot multiple times about 10:30 p.m.

Meanwhile, the university is pleading for students to stay indoors and out of harm's way.

"The shooter remains at large, police continue to search the campus," the school warned in a campus alert at 12:37 a.m. "Please REMAIN INDOORS until further notice."

The university issued the first alert at 10:48 p.m.: "There are gunshots reported in the vicinity of Building 32 (Stata Center). Area is cordoned off. Stay away from area."

According to audio of MIT police dispatch radio chatter posted online, an officer described the suspected shooter as a black male wearing black clothing and weighing approximately 120 pounds.

Stunned students asked news reporters if the shooting could be tied to this week's terror attack. However, no motive for the Thursday shooting has been given. Yahoo News' Dylan Stableford reported from New York City

Obama briefed overnight on Boston mayhem The Ticket - 39 mins ago.

VIDEO URL: http://news.yahoo.com/video/obama-boston-explosions-232600657.html

Barack Obama received briefings overnight from his top counter-terrorism adviser on the deadly mayhem in Boston and Watertown, the White House said Friday.

“The President continued to be briefed overnight by Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Lisa Monaco about developments in the investigation as well as the events in Boston and Watertown, MA,” an official said in a statement emailed to reporters.

The official did not return a request for information on whether the White House had tightened security around the presidential mansion compound either because of the violence in Boston or because of the anniversaries of the deadly end of the FBI siege of the Branch Davidian compound in Waco, TX, on this day in 1993 or the Oklahoma City bombing two years later.

One of the suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing was dead and another on the run after a late-night police chase and shootout, according to law-enforcement authorities. One police officer was killed and another was seriously wounded.

At sunrise, Gov. Deval Patrick ordered a shutdown of all public transit and residents on the edges of Boston to stay indoors as a massive manhunt for the second suspect was underway.

“This is situation is grave and we are trying to protect the public safety,” said Massachusetts State Police Col. Timothy Alben.

Federal agents swarmed neighboring Watertown after local police were involved in a car chase and shootout with the men identified Thursday by the FBI as Suspect 1 and Suspect 2.

During the pursuit, officers could be heard on police radio traffic describing the men as having handguns, grenades and other explosives.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2013 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE