News No.1 (Boston Terror order of newsreports early to latest this week)
NO CASUALTIES REPORTED AMONG 10 PINOYS IN BOSTON MARATHON / VIDEO OF PINOY RUNNER AT BOTTOM OF PAGE
VIDEO: Published on Apr 16, 2013-Yankees offer tribute to Boston Marathon victims by playing "Sweet Caroline," the Fenway Park anthem of rival Red Sox. New York Yankees players observe a moment of silence in memory of the victims of the Boston Marathon explosions before a baseball game against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Yankee Stadium in New York. A ribbon was shown on the scoreboard displaying the insignia of the Red Sox and Yankees and the words: "New York stands with Boston ... Pray for Boston." There also was a pregame moment of silence. A message that read "United We Stand" showing the Red Sox and Yankees logos was posted on an electronic board atop the ballpark. AP]
[An emergency responder and volunteers, including Carlos Arredondo in the cowboy hat, push Jeff Bauman in a wheel chair after he was injured in an explosion near the finish line of the Boston Marathon Monday, April 15, 2013 in Boston. At least three people were killed, including an 8-year-old boy, and more than 170 were wounded when two bombs blew up seconds apart. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)]
WASHINGTON, APRIL 16, 2013 (PHILSTAR) By Jose Katigbak STAR Washington Bureau - Philippine embassy spokesman Elmer Cato said there were no reports of Filipino casualties from the Boston Marathon bombings.
The Boston Marathon website listed 10 Filipinos registered for the event. They were identified as Arnie Aguila, 36; Amanda Carpo, 38; Leila Carpo, 44; and Noel Colina, 53, all from California; Richelle Embree, 37, Massachusetts; Arland Macasieb, 37, New Jersey; Ricardo Mansueta, 32, Ontario; Rolan Ocampo, 53, New York; Jose Martin Paiso, 50, Virginia; and Angielyn San Juan, 25, Illinois.
Cato said Consul General Mario de Leon relayed to him that he was able to talk to Macasieb who told him that he and six other Filipino runners were able to finish the race at least two hours before the explosion.
Macasieb added that two other Filipinos were not far behind them and could have finished the race about an hour before the incident.
[Evil can’t take love away from us-A runner embraces another woman after two bombs exploded during the Boston Marathon on Monday. At least three people are dead and more than 100 injured. By Ed Willes, The ProvinceApril 16, 2013 Photograph by: Alex Trautwig , Getty Images]
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) confirmed no reports of Filipinos among the casualties in the bombings.
“According to initial report of our consulate general in New York, so far no reported Filipino casualties in the Boston bombings,” DFA spokesman Raul Hernandez said.
“The 10 Filipinos who participated in the marathon are also considered safe,” he said.
Hernandez said the Philippine Consulate General in New York continues to closely monitor the situation in coordination with US authorities and Filipino-American community and organization leaders.
Hernandez said some of the Filipino participants in the marathon are migrants while others are green-card holders.
“We advise our kababayans to be vigilant and avoid congregating in large crowds,” Hernandez said.
He said there are 18,700 Filipinos in Boston and nearby areas.
[REPORT FROM JAPAN TIMES- AMONG THE DEAD:LEFT-8-year-old Martin Richard from Dorchester, whose mother and sister were also badly injured, the Boston Globe reported AND Krystle Campbell - Patty Campbell's 29-year-old daughter Krystal was cheering on the runners at the finish line when the bombs went off.]
The DFA also extended condolences to the families of the three individuals who died in the bombing incident.
Consul General Mario de Leon said the Consulate General has not received any report of any Filipino casualties based on initial information from authorities and leaders of the Filipino-American community.
“The Philippine Consulate General in New York responded immediately after the explosions and contacted authorities, hospitals and our kababayans in Boston to determine if there were Filipinos among the fatalities and the close to 100 who were reported injured,” the Consul General said.
Meanwhile, Cristina DC Pastor, editor of The FilAm, an Internet magazine for Filipino-Americans in New York, said one of the Filipinos who participated in the race was Susan Marie Sobrepeña whose asthma condition possibly saved her life.
Sobrepeña posted on her Facebook wall: “Just got back to my hotel room. Was close to the finish when I heard the two explosions and got stopped moving forward by the police. I feel quite lucky and blessed that my asthma held me back today from my usual faster pace. Thank you to all for your concern and thoughts. I am keeping those hurt in the explosion in my prayers.”
Sobrepeña, who comes from Bacolod and Lanao del Norte, is a New York resident and works as a movie producer. She was not listed among the Filipino participants in the race possibly because she registered as an American, Pastor said. – With Ding Cervantes, Helen Flores
FROM SUN-STAR ONLINE
VIDEO FROM SUNSTAR: VOICE OF PINOY RUNNER
MANILA (5th Update, 2:32 p.m.) -- The Philippine Government expressed Tuesday its deepest sympathy to those who have lost their loved ones in the Boston Marathon bombing.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said in a statement that the government also condemned those who perpetrated the incident.
"We condemn those who dared defile this event and who have cast such a pall of loss and suffering in the city of Boston and the entire United States," she said. these essential truths, and points of pride, for this great city."
At least three people were killed and scores were wounded whentwo bombs exploded at the Boston Marathon, an "annual celebration of the human spirit: of endurance, friendly competition, and community celebration."
The Philippine Consulate General in New York said there are so far no Filipinos among the reported casualties in the twin explosions.
Consul General Mario De Leon said that after the explosions, they immediately contacted authorities, hospitals and co-Filipinos in Boston to determine if there were Filipinos among the three fatalities and the close to 100 who were reported injured.
Police and authorities at the St. Elizabeth Medical Hospital, Boston University Medical, Massachusetts General and New England Medical Center reported no Filipino casualties, he said.
Filipino runners who joined the marathon were also confirmed safe.
De Leon said the two explosions took place along Boylston Street near Copley Square within 12 seconds of each other and one block apart while marathon participants were approaching the finish line.
Filipino elite triathlete Arland Macasieb, who finished the race before the bombings, posted on his Twitter and Facebook accounts that he and most of the Filipino-American Tri team are safe and accounted for.
In a television report, the Filipino participants who were identified include Arnie Aguila, Amanda Carpo, Leica Carpo, Noel Colina, Richelle Embree, Macasieb, Ricardo Mansueto, Rolando Ocampo, Jose Martin Paiso, and Angielyn San Juan.
Philippine flag spotted in a CNN report.
Macasieb informed the Consulate that he was with six other Filipino runners who were able to finish the race at least two hours before the explosion.
He said two other Filipinos were not far behind and would have completed the race more than an hour before the explosions, while the last Filipino runner was unable to officially finish because runners were no longer allowed to cross the finish line after the blasts.
The 10th runner was two miles away from the finish line when the incident occurred.
De Leon said there were also six volunteer nurses from the Philippine Nurses Association-New England Chapter led by Eden Gianan who were in the area at the time of the explosions. All were reported to be safe.
Consul General De Leon said the Consulate will continue to monitor the situation and remains in touch with authorities and the Filipino-American Community in the area.(SDR/Sunnex)
Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi
© Copyright, 2013
by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved
PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE