ABU SAYYAF VS MNLF: 4 BEHEADED / MNLF-ABU CLASH RESUMES 31 KILLED


[PHOTO - In this Jan. 14, 2013 photo, MNLF commander Khabir Malik (third from left) arrives with his comrades in Patikul, Sulu to seek the release of foreign and Filipino hostages long held by the Abu Sayyaf. AP]

ZAMBOANGA CITY, FEBRUARY 4, 2013 (PHILSTAR) By Roel Pareño - Moro National Liberation Front guerrillas stormed an Abu Sayyaf jungle lair in Sulu early yesterday in a squabble over hostages, triggering a bloodbath that left five MNLF men dead, with four of them decapitated.

Police and Marines went on heightened alert amid fears that the fighting could escalate and spread to neighboring villages in Patikul.

The MNLF band under Ustadz Habier Malik reportedly demanded custody of Jordanian journalist Baker Atyani, who has been held captive by the Abu Sayyaf since June last year together with two Filipino television crewmen, Roland Letrero and Ramel Vela.

Police said the Abu Sayyaf stood firm on its demand for ransom in exchange for Atyani’s release. Military officials said the Abu Sayyaf wanted P130 million for the three captives, who had gone to Sulu to interview the group.

On Saturday night the Abu Sayyaf released the two Filipinos, but not to Malik’s group, and held on to Atyani. The Associated Press, citing three security officials who have been closely monitoring the kidnappers, reported that ransom was paid, although no amount was specified.

Police said the fighting erupted in the mountain village of Barangay Buhanginan in Patikul. It was not clear which group initiated the gunbattle.

The officer-in-charge of the Sulu provincial police, Superintendent Glenn Roy Gabor, said they received reports that four of the five MNLF fatalities were beheaded.

Gabor said they were still checking reports that the Abu Sayyaf also incurred casualties.

Military sources said Malik’s group had been negotiating with the Abu Sayyaf since last year for the release of Atyani and his crew, not for ransom but for the hostages to be turned over to MNLF founding chieftain Nur Misuari.

The sources said the release could boost the political stock of Misuari, who is running for governor of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) in the May elections.

While many MNLF members rejoined the social mainstream after the group signed a peace treaty with the government in 1996, a faction has remained underground, engaging mostly in banditry in Sulu.

Malik is seen as a loyalist of Misuari, who staged a “mini rebellion” in November 2001 from Zamboanga City to Sulu when he appeared to be losing his grip on power as ARMM governor.

As they retreated to Jolo, Malik’s group attacked an Army camp but was repelled, forcing Misuari to flee to Malaysia.

In 2005, Malik’s group went on a rampage again, this time in Panamao, Sulu, leaving 37 soldiers dead, including Lt. Col. Dennis Villanueva.

In 2007, Malik’s group detained a group led by then defense undersecretary Ramon Santos and Marine Brig. Gen. Benjamin Dolorfino.

The group had tried to negotiate an end to the banditry.

Chief Superintendent Noel de los Reyes, head of the ARMM police, ordered his commanders to ensure the safety of civilians.

“Fighting has been ongoing intermittently between the two forces,” Gabor said.

Misuari is running as an independent in the May elections against ARMM officer-in-charge Mujiv Hataman of the Liberal Party and former Sultan Kudarat congressman Pakung Mangudadatu of the United Nationalist Alliance.

Malik’s group had also been negotiating for the release of two European bird watchers who were kidnapped in Tawi-Tawi in February last year.

The Abu Sayyaf is also holding captive a Japanese treasure hunter, a Malaysian and a Filipino resident of Sulu.

Last week Malik said he met with Abu Sayyaf commander Jul-Asman Sawadjaan to seek the release of Atyani and the two Filipino crew members. The Abu Sayyaf refused, Malik said.

Malik had earlier said his group was seeking the freedom of the hostages to help the government clean up the image of Sulu, which has gained notoriety for ransom kidnappings.

The Abu Sayyaf is believed to have about 380 armed fighters in Sulu and nearby islands.

On Friday, Washington renewed a longstanding warning to Americans not to travel to Sulu, “due to the high threat of kidnapping… and violence linked to insurgency and terrorism there.” – With AP

30 killed as MNLF-Abu Sayyaf clash resumes By Roel Pareño (philstar.com) | Updated February 4, 2013 - 12:01pm


A member of the Moro National Liberation Front, who signed peace with the government more than a decade ago, is rushed for treatment after being wounded in a pursuit of Abu Sayyaf militants who are still holding foreign nationals as hostages in the volatile island of Jolo, Sulu province in Mindanao, Sunday, Feb. 3, 2013. AP/Nickee Butlangan

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines - At least 30 people have been reported killed as fighting between members of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) and the extremist Abu Sayyaf group resumed in the jungles of Patikul, Sulu on Monday, a senior rebel leader reported.

Police authorities in the province confirmed that the fighting between the two groups resumed on Monday, but assured that the hostilities remained contained in the mountains of Patikul and several security forces have been deployed to prevent its spillover.

Habib Mujahab Hashim, chairman of the Islamic Command Council (ICC) and member of the senior leaders of the MNLF central committee, said that the MNLF faction under Ustadz Habier Malik has suffered 16 fatalities, based on reports from the ground.

Hashim added that he received reports that at least seven MNLF combatants have been beheaded by the Abu Sayyaf bandits.

He said fighting between the Abu Sayyaf and Malik's group resumed at around 7 a.m. Monday.

Among the MNLF fighters killed was a commander identified only as a certain Rizal, according to Hashim.

He said there were varying reports on the casualty on the part of the Abu Sayyaf.

“One [information] seems to confirm at least 14 Abu Sayyaf members were also killed from the hostilities,” Hashim added.

The fighting resumed as the MNLF forces attacked the area of Hatib (preacher) Hajjan Sawajaan while enroute to the lair of Abu Sayyaf leader Radullan Sahiron.

Hashim said there were reports that Sawajaan was in custody of captive Jordanian Baker Abdulla Atyani, who was kidnapped along with his news crew on June 13 last year.

Atyani's crewmen, cameraman cameraman Ramel Vela and audio technician Rolando Letriro, were released by their Abu Sayyaf captors on Saturday night.

The fighting between the Abu Sayyaf bandits and the group of Malik reportedly broke out as the MNLF rebels attempted to take Atyani.


Chief News Editor: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2013 by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE