RED BULL REJECTS COACH GUIAO RESIGNATION

MANILA, NOVEMBER 25, 2003  (STAR) The Red Bull management yesterday rejected the resignation of Yeng Guiao and his personnel, saying no one should be blamed for the team’s debacle in the on-going PBA Reinforced Conference and appreciated the staff’s sense of propriety.

"We have expressed our confidence in our coaching staff, to coach Yeng Guiao and his assistants, as well as to our team manager Tony Chua and team consultant Andy Jao. And we want to reiterate our appreciation for their noble act of ‘delicadeza,’ and advise them that we are not accepting their resignations," said team owner George Chua in a statement released to the media yesterday.

For its failure to steer the team past the quarterfinal stage of the league’s season-ending conference after dominating the elims, the entire Red Bull coaching staff, led by Guiao and team manager Tony Chua, resigned en masse last week.

Guiao and Tony Chua took it upon themselves to quit since they felt that they have failed to meet the expectation for the team in their fourth year of participation in the league.

"We are even more heartened by the selfless act of professionalism and ‘delicadeza’ demonstrated by our team management and coaching staff in tendering their voluntary resignations immediately after the team’s misfortune," said Chua.

He added that by doing so, Guiao and company had set for a difficult task of winning the championship, and they held themselves fully accountable for failing to achieve it. "This act of theirs has made us even prouder of the quality of men we are privileged to have in our ranks, highly principled professionals who would not hesitate to lay their own jobs on the line as proof of their unstinting commitment to the highest level of performance of their duties," added the team owner.

But Chua stressed that "there is no blame and most certainly no shame in our loss, no matter how painful that might be."

He added: "We are convinced that every member of our team did their best to win and we can ask for nothing more. We have tasted the sweetness of victory, and we certainly know how to keep our dignity in defeat."

After an impressive stint in the elims, the Thunder, who won two titles in three years in the league, bowed to the Talk N Text Phone Pals, 1-2, in their best-of-three series for a berth in the semis.

"It is time to set the past aside and move on. We look at our achievements and we are pleased with our accomplishments. But we gaze into the future and we realize there are more new horizons to conquer. We are determined to stay the course. We assure our countless fans and loyal supporters we are here to stay. We are committed to building a stronger, better, more competitive team," said Chua.

Meanwhile, American cager Alex Compton appealed to the PBA during its regular board meeting last night and asked that he be given a chance to play in the pro league.


Reported by: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2003  by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE