BATA REYES CAME IN SECOND, RICHER BY $7,000

EFREN 'BATA' REYESNEW YORK CITY, August 19, 2003 (MALAYA) Korean Charlie Williams beat former world pool champion Efren "Bata" Reyes 13-8 in the final to rule the Big Apple 9-Ball Challenge Sunday at the Master Billiards Center in New York.

Williams played flawless despite using borrowed cue sticks, going unscathed in the tournament capped with back-to-back wins over the veteran Reyes to bag the $12,000 prize.

Reyes, who also lost to Williams 9-11 in the battle for the hot seat before the finals, settled for runner-up honors and $7,000

Rodney Morris placed third, worth $4,500 while Jose Parica was fourth, good for $3,000.

Francisco "Django" Bustamante and Fil-Canadian Alex Pagulayan shared fifth to sixth places and took home $2,000 each.

Williams, who saw action in the 2003 World Stars Invitational Team Cup in Taiwan last week, lost his luggage at the airport in Hartford, Connecticut. His bags were found later but his cue sticks were missing.

"Counting jump cues, I borrowed seven different cues," said Williams. "I think from now on, I am just going to borrow cues and win all the tournaments."

Other big names who saw action in the event were former world pool champions Johnny Archer of the US and Mika Immonen of Finland, Alex Lely, Neils Feijen and Ralf Souquet.

Ayala wants shot at Pacquiao’s belt By Dante Navarro (STAR)

The reputation that Manny Pacquiao has built drew another prospect in Paulie Ayala, who has signified his intention to fight the Filipino world champion in a probable title clash as part of his comeback from a setback to Erik Morales in their WBC title clash last November.

In an interview with the Fightnews.com Sunday, the Ayala camp hinted at a possible fight against the reigning Filipino International Boxing Federation (IBF) superbantamweight champion as Ayala’s next step to get back into the public’s eye after playing low key following that loss to Morales.

"We are going to go and try to get some fights with Manny Pacquiao or Oscar Larios or whatever fight that can be made," said Ayala, the 33-year-old southpaw who boasts of a 34-2-0 (win-loss-draw) record.

He added: "Just keep an eye out for me in October and if it were local it would be a good chance to see my last fight at home. It’s not over with for Paulie Ayala. I know that I’ve been low-key, but that’s because I’ve never been then one to be in the media eye."

It is no coincidence that when asked whom he prefers to battle next, the outspoken Pacquiao, 24, pointed to Ayala, who also happens to be the choice of Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach although there is an IBF edict ordering Pacquiao to stake his crown against Jose Luis Valbuena in a mandatory defense by September.

The two-time champion Ayala is actually set to fight on Oct. 17 in Fort Worth, Texas although no opponent has been listed. It will be Ayala’s first outing since losing to Morales.

Earlier, uncrowned featherweight champion Marco Antonio Barrera indicated his desire to take on Pacquiao after the latter convincingly disposed of Mexican Emmanuel Lucero in Los Angeles last month.

In fact, Home Box Office (HBO) has started working for a Pacquiao-Barrera showdown on Nov. 1 or 15 in Las Vegas, Los Angeles or Texas until a possible lawsuit against Barrera cropped up.

A looming court suit may prevent Barrera to fight Pacquiao in November because of his recent "unresolved" breakup from manager Ricardo Maldonado and the Forum Boxing promotions group.

Barrera declared himself a free agent last June, severing ties with Maldonado and Forum Boxing which used to be controlled by Los Angeles Lakers team owner Jerry Buss. He then signed a contract to fight for Oscar de la Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions.

When Buss left Forum Boxing, vice president John Jackson took over the outfit. Forum Boxing, however, was limited in scope, interests and resources. Because its fortunes revolved around only one star, Forum Boxing was often referred to as Barrera Boxing. Maldonado brokered the deal for Barrera to fight under Forum Boxing’s aegis in 1992.

De la Hoya actively pursued Barrera to join his one-year-old group which also lists Larios, the WBC superbantamweight titlist, and former titleholder Jesse James Leija as stablemates.

"If legal issues do not keep him sidelined, Barrera will box in November," said Boxing News editor Claude Abrams. "Barrera is considering his options, having been made official contender to new World Boxing Organization champion Manuel Medina. But Barrera is also examining the possibility of tackling Pacquiao who is eager to join the 126-pound division which is teeming with talent."

The website boxinggladiators.com said Golden Boy Chief Executive Officer Richard Shaffer is working out the details of staging the Pacquiao-Barrera bout.

"Pacquiao called out all of the featherweights after his fight (against Emmanuel Lucero) and Barrera is the first one to answer the challenge," said the website.

Barrera, who packs a 57-3 record with 40 Kos, has won his last eight fights and lost only to Junior Jones twice and Morales in a career that started in 1989. Barrera is coming off a fourth round stoppage of Kevin Kelly last April.


Reported by: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2003  by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE