BODY STILL IN MANILA WATERPIPES

Manila, June 2, 2003 -- After two weeks of searching for the body of Randy 
Diaz, who fell into the ventillation chamber of the Manila Water Co. Inc. 
(MWCI) in Project 2, Quezon City, rescue teams still have not given up the 
search.

"We have covered only one-third of the pipeline in seven days," the MWCI 
said yesterday.

Joel Lacsamana, MWCI corporate communications director, said they "still 
have a little over two kilometers of searching" to do inside the 1525-mm 
diameter mainline.

"The retrieval operations will definitely continue. Although we would all 
like swift action, we have no idea when this thing will finally be over. 
The safety of the divers come first," Lacsamana told The STAR.

Frogmen from the Philippine Coast Guard were called in to retrieve whatever 
remains of Diaz's body but so far they have covered only one kilometer per 
week.

"We have outlined key points inside the line where we guess Diaz's body is 
located. This was done so the frogmen would not have to swim around the 
pipeline for a long time," he said.

The divers started the retrieval operations last May 23 inside the 
ventilation chamber in Bignay St., Project 2, where 19-year-old Diaz fell 
into a week before at the backyard of his relative's house.

Manila Water is currently utilizing water cameras to enable them to view 
the pipeline and keep track of the frogmen's movements. The water 
concessionaire has also assured its customers that the water is still safe 
and potable. (By Matthew Estabillo, Star)

Reported by: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2003  by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE