SARS: 2 MORE PINAYS IN HK SICK

Manila, April 22, 2003 -- Two more Filipino workers in Hong Kong were 
reported to have been afflicted with Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome 
(SARS), bringing to 27 the total cases of the mysterious illness among 
Filipinos abroad.

Labor Undersecretary Manuel Imson said the workers  a nurse and a domestic 
helper  were admitted to a hospital in Hong Kong last Friday due to 
possible SARS infection. Both are in stable condition.

This came only a few days after the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration 
(OWWA) reported that SARS among Filipino workers in Hong Kong appeared to 
be under control since no SARS infection was reported last week.

With these two additional cases, Imson said three Filipinos are now 
confined in different hospitals in the administrative region. The third is 
a 56-year-old Filipina married to a Chinese, who has been reported to be in 
critical condition for weeks now.

Philippine authorities have been tightly screening returning OFWs from 
these SARS-affected countries. Recently, however, even returning workers 
from Malaysia were also placed under close watch as the possibility of SARS 
infection may also be high.

OWWA deputy administrator Delmer Cruz said that Malaysia is very near 
Singapore, where a total of nine OFWs were afflicted with SARS. Vitamin C 
and surgical masks were distributed to workers arriving from Malaysia. (By 
Mayen Jaymalin, Star)

Reported by: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2003  by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE