MORE FOREIGN TERROR SUSPECTS TO BE ARRESTED

Manila, April 1, 2003 -- Chief Commissioner Andrea Domingo of the Bureau of 
Immigration and Deportation (BID) has promised more arrests yet to come in 
the wake of the sustained crackdown on undocumented aliens with suspected 
links to international and local terrorists in the country.

Domingo further said that the BID-- with the help of the Philippine 
National Police (PNP)-- will be issuing more mission orders against 
foreigners with suspected links to terrorists in the coming days.

"More arrests will come in the days ahead. We are working closely with the 
PNP Task (Force) Sanglahi against these foreign personalities," Domingo said.

Since its launching, the BID's crackdown has resulted in the arrest and 
deportation of five foreigners with links to terrorist organizations.

11 more Iraqis and a Saudi national are presently detained at the PNP 
detention cell in Camp Crame and are undergoing deportation proceedings.

Domingo reiterated that the preventive detention of these Iraqi nationals 
was legal in response to accusations by human rights groups that the 
Iraqis' imprisonment was illegal.

Some of the Iraqi nationals had claimed they were refugees and they have 
the documents from the United Nations Commission on Human Rights (UNCHR) to 
prove their stay in the country was sanctioned.

As this developed, the BID chief related that her agents had intercepted 
and deported a suspected Palestinian suicide bomber at the Ninoy Aquino 
International Airport (NAIA) last week.

Reported by: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2003  by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE