MILF-GOVT AGREEMENT TOWARDS CEASEFIRE, PEACE TALKS

Manila, March 30, 2003 --  - Government negotiators and Muslim separatist 
guerrillas said on Sunday they have agreed to work toward resuming stalled 
peace talks and halting fighting which has raged in recent weeks.

The Moro Islamic Liberation Front guerrillas broke off all contact with 
government peace negotiators after losing a major stronghold in a 
government military offensive last month.

The recent fighting, among the fiercest in years, has killed scores on both 
sides and displaced about 70,000 villagers in the violence-wracked 
provinces of North Cotabato and Maguindanao on southern Mindanao island.

The two sides signed an agreement at Malaysian-brokered talks this past 
week in Kuala Lumpur pledging to take steps to resume the stalled talks and 
"exercise mutual restraint to minimize, if not put an end to, violence in 
Mindanao," government chief negotiator Jesus Dureza told a news conference.

In a joint statement, the government and the rebels reiterated their 
commitment to work for a political settlement of the separatist war the 
guerrillas have been waging for years in resource-rich but economically 
backward Mindanao.

Rebel spokesman Eid Kabalu said his comrades launched several attacks on 
army positions early Sunday because the agreement with the government had 
not yet reached their field commanders.

"We are ready to abide by any agreement but it takes some time to 
communicate with our commands. We're firmly committed to work for peace," 
Kabalu said.

About 80 guerrillas bombarded an army detachment with rocket-propelled 
grenades and rifle fire in Columbio town in Sultan Kudarat province, near 
North Cotabato, at dawn Sunday, injuring a soldier, a pro-government 
militiaman and a civilian, army Col. Agustin Dima-ala said.

Kabalu said the guerrillas captured several soldiers from the detachment 
and destroyed an armored troop carrier, but Dima-ala denied those claims as 
rebel propaganda.

Another group of rebels fired volleys of rocket-propelled grenades at an 
army camp in North Cotabato's Carmen town early Sunday but did not cause 
any casualties, army Maj. Onting Alon said.

In Pikit, a North Cotabato town hard-hit by the recent fighting, a clash 
broke out between government troops and an undetermined number of rebels 
shortly after midnight Sunday. Kabalu said six guerrillas were wounded in 
the fighting.

Reported by: Sol Jose Vanzi

© Copyright, 2003  by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE