NEWSFLASH!! REBELS OWN KINTANAR KILLING

Manila, Jan. 26, 2003 - The Communist Party of the Philippines today claimed responsibility for the killing of NPA renegade Romulo Kintanar, saying that it was "absolutely correct to put an end to (his) rotten, criminal, counterrevolutionary and bloody record."

In a statement emailed to Philippine Headline News Online editor Sol Vanzi, CPP spokesperson Gregorio "Ka Roger" Rosal confirmed that a special team of the New People's Army meted on Kintanar the death penalty on January 23. Rosal said that Kintanar had numerous criminal accountabilities to the revolutionary movement and the people.

Rosal revealed that charges had been filed against Kintanar at the people's court as early as 1993 and that the court had issued a standing order for the NPA to arrest Kintanar and hold him accountable for his crimes. He said Kintanar was found guilty beyond reasonable doubt of masterminding and propagating gangster operations, stealing CPP funds and conniving with the AFP and PNP in counter-revolutionary and anti-CPP operations. Rosal also said that the NPA had long been ordered to arrest Kintanar and present him before the people's court, but Kintanar had long been evading arrest and had even taken countermeasures to avoid facing his criminal and counter-revolutionary accountabilities.

Rosal cited two notorious kidnap for ransom cases in the 1980s that were reportedly the handiwork of Kintanar: the kidnapping in 1986 of Japanese businessman Noboyuki Wakaoji where Kintanar and his men earned $10 million in ransom and the abduction in 1989 of Bombo Radyo-Philippines president Roger Florete that earned them P15 million. Rosal said that Kintanar connived with fellow NPA renegade Arturo Tabara in the kidnap for ransom of Florete. Rosal also said that Kintanar was also found guilty of pocketing at least P30 million in CPP funds in 1991.

The CPP spokesperson added that Kintanar also masterminded bank holdups using NPA urban partisan operatives under his command. Rosal said one such bank holdup perpetrated in Parañaque in 1991 was foiled and resulted in the death of some of the NPA operatives dispatched by Kintanar.

Rosal also said that Kintanar was also involved with criminal syndicate operations and bureaucratic corruption for personal aggrandizement, and served as gun-for-hire to reactionary politicians and others who wanted to commission killings, including that of actress Nida Blanca.

Rosal said Philip Medel, the main suspect in the Blanca slaying, was just one of the hired killers maintained and handled by Kintanar and his uncle, former ISAFP chief Gen. Galileo Kintanar.

Rosal also said that Kintanar is being held accountable for the failed assasination project against Jose Ma. Sison in May 2000. The CPP spokesperson said that Kintanar himself headed the group that was to implement the project. The group organized by Kintanar actually went to the Netherlands to implement their plan but had to return because of difficulties they met and squabbles within the group.

Rosal added that Kintanar had also been conniving with the military and police in planning and implementing surveillance operations, psy-ops and sabotage operations and attacking and attempting to destroy NPA units and guerrilla zones.

Rosal recounted that Kintanar's criminal activities first gained momentum in Davao City in the 1980s and were later replicated and magnified on the national scale. According to Rosal, Kintanar "went full throttle with his criminal and counter-revolutionary activities" after he was expelled from the CPP.

Rosal clarified that Kintanar's gangsterism violated CPP policies and rules and was perpetrated without the CPP leadership's knowledge and consent.

Rosal likewise stressed that Kintanar was meted punishment solely for his actual criminal and counter-revolutionary acts and not for his ideological, political and organizational differences with the CPP leadership nor for his leaving the Party and revolutionary movement.

Related to this, Rosal called a "monstrous lie" Malacañang's claim that there is an NPA hit list that includes Presidential chief of staff Rigoberto Tiglao.


© Copyright, 2003  by PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE
All rights reserved


PHILIPPINE HEADLINE NEWS ONLINE [PHNO] WEBSITE